Heraldry
The Head of the Family
Leith Hall
The Arms of Charles Edward Norman Leith-Hay (29/05/1940 Volume 34, folio 14) on the family grave in the former parish church. The Arms of the head of the Leith-Hay family are also displayed at the Hall entrance and internally at the Hall.
Quarterly, 1st and 4th grand quarters, Or, a cross crosslet fitché Sable between three crescents in chief and as many fusils in base Gules, for the name of Leith: 2nd and 3rd grandquarters counterquartered 1st and 4th Argent, three inescutcheons Gules; 2nd and 3rd Azure, three cinquefoils Argent, over all a crescent Gules, for difference for the name of Hay of Rannes. Above the shield are placed two helmets befitting his Degree, that on the dexter with a Mantling Sable doubled Or and on a Wreath of the Liveries is set for Crest:- a cross crosslet fitché Sable and in an Escrol over the same this Motto “Trustie to the end” that on the sinister with a Mantling Gules doubled Argent and on a Wreath of the Liveries is set for Crest a goat proper attired and unguled Or, and in an Escrol over the same this Motto “Spare nought”.
On a Compartment beneath the shield are placed for Supporters:- two wild men wreathed about the head and loins with laurel, their exterior hands resting on clubs all proper.
The arms displayed at Leith Hall
The Arms of the head of the family
Matriculated 20 August 1764
The Hays of Rannes
The images on the left relate to Andrew Hay whose name became part of the family name from 1789 onwards for the Leith Hall family. Andrew Hay of Rannas Esquire, heir male and Representative of Edmond Hay of Linplũm, who was second son of Sir William Hay of Lochawret (Ancestor to the Marquis of Tweedale) of his marriage with Alicia Hay Daughter of Sir Thomas Hay of Errole, his second wife, Bears quarterly 1st and 4th Argent three inescutcheons Gules. 2nd and 3rd Azure (For Hay), three Cinquefoils Argent (for Fraser). In the center of the shield a Crescent for difference. Crest a Goat passant Argent arm’d and Unguled Or. Motto, Spare nought. Matriculated 20 August 1764.
The goat passant also a distinction from the rest of the (Hays of Yester) who typically used a goats head. The two photos are from Rannes Aisle in Rathven from the resting place of Andrew Hay.
A good example of the very early Hay and Fraser heraldry is at the entrance of Neidpath Castle, with the goat’s head sitting on top of a strawberry signifying the union of these families in the past in the 1300s when Mary Fraser (co-heiress of Oliver Castle) married Sir Gilbert Hay of Locherworth ancestor of the Hays of Yester and their cadet family, the Hays of Talla from which Andrew traced his ancestry.
The Lovat connection to Foyers
The Inverness connection
Andrew Hay’s mother Helen Fraser, the daughter of Baillie Andrew Fraser of Inverness and his wife Mary Duff (3rd daughter of Alexander Duff of Keithmore) gives the Leith Hall family a connection to the Frasers of Fairfield based on the Inverness baptisms in 1690 (Isobell Fraser 7/8/1690) and (Hellen 15/9/1691). Andrew Fraser was the oldest son of Finlay Fraser (also known as Philip Fraser Provost of Inverness, descended of Foyers of the family of Lovat, who married Isobel Robertson in 1656). See grant of Arms to Philip Fraser of Inverness 1692.
There is no evidence to link Helen Fraser to one the many descendants of the seven brothers of Fruid (Frasers of Fruid). The only Andrew Fraser in that time frame that would fit the mould was William Fraser, third of Phopachy’s (Dr of Medicine and Minister) second son, Andrew, who was a student of the university of Aberdeen in 1672, described as frater Magistri Jacobi a Phoppachie, Inverness (brother of Rev James 4th of Phoppachie and Minister of Kirkill ordained 1661) (the Frasers of Phopachy and Torbreck, Mckenzie, p. 729) also author of the Chronicles of the Frasers, the Wardlaw Manuscript. The genealogical record from Inverness to Mary Duff and her later 2nd marriage in 1701 indicates that it is certain Helen Fraser was a descendant of what were to become the Frasers of Fairfield in Inverness from her uncle David Fraser’s family.
The Courtyard at Leith Hall
The Marriage Lintels
Harriot Steuart
John Leith of Leith Hall
The Auchlunkart Steuart Arms
Corde et Manu
Court of the Lord Lyon
Armigers of the House of Leith
Leith of Leith Hall
Leith of Freefield and Glenkindie
“Trustie to the end” · “Non times sed caves”
Leith-Ross of Arnage
From 1803 the head of the Leith-Ross family bore quarterly arms. The first and fourth quarters are Or, three water-bougets Sable within a bordure of the second.
The second and third are themselves quartered: the Leith arms of a cross crosslet fitchee Sable between three crescents in chief and as many fusils in base Gules, within a bordure Azure; and the Strachan arms, Azure, a stag trippant Or, attired and unguled Gules. Above the shield is a helmet with mantling Gules doubled Argent. The crest is a water-bouget Sable set upon a cap of maintenance.